Yankee Group Research Approach and Methodology
Yankee Group’s approach and methodology is designed to respond to every facet of our clients’ research and advisory needs. It begins with a foundation of key trends and market facts, driven by primary research and data. Our analysts continuously scan the ecosystem, read industry news, attend events and meet with market players to provide a balanced approach to creating key insights in our research stream. Finally, and most importantly, we provide clients with the implications stemming from these fact-driven insights. The implications allow our clients to exploit the revenue opportunities enabled by the mobility revolution.
Our Content Approach
Squarely focused on the mobility revolution, Yankee Group’s research is organized across key mobility themes. Within each theme, we provide clients with a stream of research to support decision-making spanning near- to long-term requirements:
- Yankee Group Perspectives represent our current viewpoint on key agenda items within each research theme and are supported and refreshed by a broad set of content, including daily insights, reports, data products and social networking.
- Yankee Group Content is delivered in daily, weekly, monthly, quarterly and annual formats to provide deeper insights into our theme agendas.
- Yankee Group Data Products provide a fact-driven foundation for our content and insights, in addition to a rich store of quantitative information that clients can access for their own analysis.
Our research reports form the core of our offering, with qualitative analysis focused exclusively on the transformational effects of mobility. Analyst insights draw on a wealth of proprietary Yankee Group data from exclusive continuous surveys conducted with thousands of enterprises and consumers, along with in-depth market monitors and comprehensive forecasts. Report types include:
- Monthly Directions synthesize Yankee Group analysts’ Daily Insights from the past month and provide an overview of the trends we see emerging in each of our core mobile markets.
- An Event Impact reviews a major announcement or industry event, from a merger or launch to a conference or show, and analyzes its impact on the broader mobile marketplace.
- A Data Insight presents a takeaway from a Yankee Group data product and analyzes the implications for the growing mobile ecosystem.
- A Technology Roadmap introduces a technological or service advancement and evaluates how it applies to or affects various ecosystem players.
- A Business Case profiles how a company is dealing with a challenge or innovation and examines how its experience can serve as an example for others.
- A Battleground evaluates and ranks players in a given market.
- Annual mid-year Market Visions present Yankee Group’s vision for how each of our core mobile markets—apps and cloud, broadband, devices, leadership, and marketing and commerce—will evolve over the next two to three years.
- Yankee Group’s yearly, cross-theme Predictions presents the top developments we expect in the mobile ecosystem during the following year, along with industry winners and losers and recommendations for players looking to capitalize on the changes we expect.
Research Theme Agendas
Yankee Group’s team of analysts develops annual research agendas for each theme that provide clients with facts, insights and implications across four dimensions:
- Customers: including buying and consumption behaviors, brand impressions, and user segmentation approaches.
- Technology: including technology planning and roadmaps, as well as hardware, software and feature requirements.
- Economics: including revenue opportunities, customer demand and profitability.
- Go-to-Market: including competitive positioning, branding and pricing strategies.
This approach provides a comprehensive view to each theme, delivered across multiple content types.
Data Products Methodology
Yankee Group offers three major data products—Monitors, Surveys and Forecasts—that provide us with both a wide angle and deep view of the global mobility market:
- Monitors provide a solid history of mobile performance. Yankee Group researches key financial and operational metrics for more than 150 mobile operators in 60 countries each quarter. We then normalize those metrics to eliminate variations in regulatory and reporting practices across the globe, allowing apples-to-apples comparisons across the global mobility ecosystem.
- Surveys sample demand changes and trends. Yankee Group interviews more than 5,000 consumers and businesses quarterly to understand their mobile devices, services and content, as well as their demands for new products. From this quarterly polling, we identify and measure critical mobility trends.
- Forecasts combine history and trends to predict the future. Yankee Group combines its historical monitors and survey trends with proven forecasting techniques and econometric analyses to predict future product and service adoption. Our forecast products provide insights into how populations, economies and the mobile ecosystem will evolve over the next five years in more than 60 countries around the world.
Many competing research firms provide one or two of these data products. However, Yankee Group is the only research firm dedicated exclusively to mobility that can provide all three products and deliver mobility insights for more than 60 countries around the world.
Yankee Group is the preeminent research and advisory firm equipping enterprises to profit in a mobile world, and our research approach and methodology attest to our continued commitment to this ever-changing and growing marketplace. Armed with our range of actionable data, insights and advice, top marketing, strategy and product executives are driving the mobility revolution in leading companies worldwide. To join them, contact us.